Friday, January 1, 2010

Thing 19: Intro. to Social Bookmarking

What a great idea that someone had! I can't count the number of times that I've been at home and want to get back to a bookmarked website, but the bookmark was made at school. I also have a mess of over a hundred bookmarks that are totally unorganized or tagged, so I always have to search the whole list to find what I'm looking for. Also, my district reimages computers every summer and wipes out all of our bookmarks. Ugh! I found that out the hard way last year. It will definately be a time saver, but I'm wondering if I can also use this with students. It would be great to do some initial searching for good sources for a research project and then have them be able to access those bookmarks for their research. I was pretty excited about it until I read the 13 tips article. Yikes! I didn't realize that tagging bookmarks can be such a hassle, but it totally makes sense. Opensource versus open source versus open-source. I can see how different people can tag the same sites totally differently. I'm sure I'll run into those issues at some point, but I'm not as interested at this point about the social aspect of delicious, but just being able to organize my bookmarks and being able to access them from any computer. As soon as I get more "into" using the site, I will try to become more familiar with searching the most common tags that other people use for certain sites and can also edit and switch the tags that I've set. I thought it was funny that the article mentioned to be careful of what you tag sites and not to tag a site on your competitor's products "enemies." I can only imagine the trouble that some people have gotten into choosing inappropriate tags for their bookmarks!

1 comment:

  1. Social bookmarking has saved me so many times. I was just like you always needing the site that was saved on my favorites at school. I the found Delicious site about a year ago and started using it. It has been a life saver. Unfortunately, over the past year I had not attached many tags, so I spent time on this task over break. Thanks for sharing your blog with us from the 23 Things course.

    ReplyDelete